Wednesday, June 19, 2013

An Ode to the Past

The call is to unplug.... stop the tweets, resist Facebook, shut out email, turn off your smart phone, close your eyes to Pintrest and (shudder) suspend Google. 
"When I was young..." How often have your heard that? 
Well, when I was young (because I'm old), my teachers were horrified at the lose of penmanship. In fact, I had to stay in over lunch hour to perfect my lopsided Q. They were terrified that we would lose the talent for complex multi-claused sentences. My grandfather often spoke with fondness about the tri-colonate sentence (I know -- my children laugh at me too). 
But I write today with all of my technology charged and running. With Google, Twitter, LinkedIn, email and an online game of Scrabble running in the background. You see, each generation fears for the next -- which is confusing, as if we would cease to be human. 
A well formed poem, a scintillating story crafted in the finest language, dinner conversation between friends and lovers..... all of those things will continue to exist because we are human. 
Yes, we will have momentary lapses where we overlook our lover to scan our eMail. Of course, the thrill of a new piece of technology will capture our imagination.  OK, perhaps Canada Post will be forced to build more creative strategies to be sustainable.... but imagination, creativity, communication, relationships.... they will never fade because.
This little cartoon may amuse you..... 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home